Thursday, 26 November 2009

Miscellany

I've been trying for a while now to find some way of speeding up my painting and something I'm going to try out is the seemingly popular stick method.  My normal system is to stick individual figures on to plastic bottle tops and paint a couple of figures at a time.  I know it's terribly innefficient but I become very bored painting the same colour all of the time.  So I've decided to give this technique a try out on these Calpe musketeers.  The whole thing isn't helped by the fact that I've had to undercoat them all by hand due to the gale force winds with which we in the Southwest of England are so regularly afflicted making a joke of any attempt to spray them. 

24 Hours Later......,
Well that was a bloody waste of time.  I couldn't reach the inside figures properly and the whole thing is extremely cumbersome.  I can only imagine that I'm doing it wrong somehow.  Anyway the Prussians are now back on to bottle tops and I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to go back and have another crack at them.  The good news is that I've finally found a yellow which doesn't either have the consistency of tar or turn into gravel as soon as I start using it (I'm painting Silesians).  It's Sulphuric Yellow made by "Formula P3" at least that's what the name on the label says.  It even goes on well on to a black undercoat which is pretty impressive.

Anyway enough of my prattle, time for some more photos of our latest game.  A distinctly lost looking Austrian attempts to fit in by encouraging his Prussian friends to conquer all, hmmm now where have I heard that before?



This one shows the Allied left and the woods which have been hotly contested.  There's a largish open area to the right of them which might have been a better avenue of approach, though this gap has now been plugged by the arrival of Prussian cavalry.


Prussian and French light cavalry mixing it up, this time the French come off second best.
















Not a picture from this game but you may remember me mentioning the Austrophile element here in the garage.  Here we can see a rare glimpse in to the minds of those afflicted by this sad malady.  Eric and Neil conduct the "Naming Ceremony", in which each figure in a new unit is welcomed into the army and given a name.  Honestly , they should be on daytime TV.
















Well the game will continue tonight, this time with a full house of players.  I'll try to get a post in before saturday as I'm off for my final visit of the year to Scarborough to celebrate Herberts' birthday with a week of Napoleonics.  Could life get any better?

6 comments:

jmilesr said...

Great figures

I've found the "stick method" to be cumbersome also. For painting efficiency, I've found doing 6 figures at a time in a small assembly line works best. Painting the same color / items six times in a row isn't that bad and the focus leads to pretty good results.

I've tried more than 6 figs and found that is just too tedious.

Great blog - thanks for sharing

Stryker said...

Hi Noel

Another great looking game in progress - hope the garage roof is holding out in the gales (I can't believe the size of the waves out in Torbay at the moment!).

Over the years I've tried several different production line painting methods but none of them work for me - I just get bored and productivity actually falls off! I just paint three figures at a time now, more than that and I find that the paint in the palette dries up along with my enthusiasm.

Ian

Noel said...

Well it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who paints in short bursts so to speak.
By the way Ian, I was working in Penzance the other morning as the wind was blowing the tide over the seawall, got absoloutely soaked.

Noel.

Ken said...

Hi Noel,

I use the jumbo lollipop stick method for my 15mm troops - stuck down with PVA glue. I can get eight figures per stick. I must admit that sometimes some areas are a bit hard to get at and quality suffers. I use plastic milk bottle tops for the cavalry - I keep these in place with blue-tack.


Cheers

Ken

Noel said...

Ken, have you tried it with 28mm figures? I was surprised at how cumbersome the whole thing became after a while. Maybe four 28mm figures with a greater spacing would be an answer.

Docsmith said...

Hi Noel

I use good old ice-cream sticks of the Paddlepop variety! I get four figures per stick on average (using my trusty hot-glue gun to fix them on) - or two cavalry. I also use a spray box - nothing fancy, just an old very big cardboard box open in front and on top (i.e. no lid) but when its howling I don't bother - why risk a snoot-full of paint? I do mine up at three or four sticks worth at a time in stages. Got some pics of the 'production line' of some Perrys on my blog. I've tried all sorts of things but this way (for me anyway) seems to get the most consistent results.

Chers,
Doc
http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/