Friday, 27 November 2009

Last Nights Action

Don't get any wrong ideas from the title, this is just another post about the wargame we played last night which saw us reach turn twelve of the scheduled maximum of twenty four.  We had left the game prior to doing compulsory moves for the last turn (these are retreats, routs, that sort of thing) and then declared any charges for the new turn.  I'd got myself into a position where I had a sotnia of cossacks ready to charge a limbered gun battery which would have meant a compulsory evade for the gunners and any ensuing confusion caused by them pinning friendly troops.  The only fly in the ointment was a French light cavalry squadron which could intercept them.  However this was in turn cancelled out by my being able to charge the lights with a squadron of uhlans.  All I had to do was make the charge.  It was at this moment that Dom mentioned the chances of me throwing three one's on my morale dice and failing to charge, I confidently smiled and threw the dice.


















The result as you can see above was a bit of a disappointment to say the least and brought howls of derision from a normally placid Dom.  The uhlans failed to charge, the cossacks were intercepted, though they aquitted themselves well in the ensuing melee, and the gunners remained unmolested.
    But this was just a snapshot in a battle that is becoming increasingly difficult for the French.


















The French left despite it's reinforcement by a division of young guard and a cuirassier division is struggling to make any headway and has now discovered a grand battery of ten guns barring its way.  In the centre the Prussians have moved on to the offensive and are advancing to engage a weakened French centre, and on the Allied left the Prussians have also now routed the French from the woods and are advancing into the area vacated by them.


















Above is a shot of a part of the French centre attempting to advance but having fallen into the trap of deploying guns in front of their own advancing infantry, thereby funneling the infantry between the guns and a closed wood.  The guns have done little damage to the enemy but have completely stifled this part of their attack. 



















You know the old saying, "what goes around comes around"?  Dom's cuirassier hellbent on sweeping my Russian light cavalry away charge forward and crash into them.  In the ensuing melee Dom gets twenty four dice against my sixteen and decides to throw all of his first.  The result was five sixes which is nearly one in four and it looks grim for the Russians.  I throw four sixes with my first twelve dice and make the comment that one six from my last four dice would be a draw.  Dom however, once again makes the fatal announcement that two more sixes would be a win and with that seals the cuirassiers fate.  Six sixes from sixteen dice has got to be one of the luckiest throws I've ever had and to cap it all the cuirassier fail their morale and flee.  It wasn't a major development in the game but it's was one of those little occurences that I think all of us enjoy.

I'm off to Scarborough again this weekend so no updates for a short while but I'll be back armed with tales of Austerlitz, Wagram and Dresden, with photos to match in a little over a week.

4 comments:

Docsmith said...

The Litho Uhlans failing to charge, the Cossacks caught - good God man - its the end of civilisation as we know it! [grin]

Cheers,
Doc

http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/

Matt said...

Hell's teeth man, I can consistently throw ones for a whole weekend!

Matt

Der Alte Fritz said...

That's the thing about ITGM, you can roll a bunch of dodgy dice throughout the game (those 3 snake eyes are priceless, BTW) and then one roll of six 6s out of 16 can make it all worth while.

I would have rolled the 3 single dice one at a time -- seems to defuse the odds of all snakes eyes even though I know that the probabilities are the same. It makes me feel like I have more control.

ITGM is all about "traffic management" as your artillery situation illustrates very well.

Oh, and I believe that I'm the master of throwing anything but a six for long periods of time in cavalry melees.

calb said...

The prussians were never close last night boys, and the Litho Uhlans failed to charge, rough night on the battle field