Friday, 16 October 2009

Eric's Battle

I thought it would be a good idea to post a few more photos of our current game, which for want of a proper name I'm referring to as Eric's Battle. The game continued up to turn 16 last night and various reinforcements have arrived on both sides. The French received an allied corps made up of Wurtemburg and Westphalians and the Allies recieved an Austrian Grenadier division and a Cuirassier division. This first shot shows the grenadiers as they push through the lines of their Russian allies in order to assault a French held village.
Old Glory Swiss painted by Dom which form part of the French attack on the Allied right flank. Here supported by a rather tatty old foot battery which will shortly be retired and some French light cavalry. The horsemen were to later cover themselves in glory by soundly defeating a force of Russian Uhlans.



Prussians from Steve's command struggling to deploy through the woods on the French right flank. Their job has been made all the more difficult by a French heavy cavlry division which is positioned to pounce on any unwary troops. One battalion square has already been cut down and the others are understandably nervous.



Calpe Prussian Landwehr painted by Neil Sheardown. These lads only arrived a short while ago and will eventually be joined by another two battalions. Neil's going to be painting some of the new Calpe Saxons which I may have mentioned before and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. Hopefully Calpe will be producing Saxon cavalry in time.



Finally a head on shot of the grenadier division. These are a mix of battalions from Elite and Front Rank. As you can see the Elite ones are still waiting to recieve their standards but were rushed into action anyway.

7 comments:

Rafael Pardo said...

Hi
The battlefield seems a bit cramped!
But I love the view of these Austrian masses!
Waiting to see more pictures
Rafa

JAM said...

Indeed a very nice mass effect.

John

Noel said...

Rafa, I'll put up a couple of shots of the whole battlefield in the next post. I think it's my choice of shots that may make it look a bit crowded.

Noel.

Docsmith said...

Ooh err... luverly Austrians - masses an masses of 'em! Don't worry 'bout the lack of flags for the composite Austrian Grenadier battalions - they didn't carry them! Tho I'd imagine amassed into a huge division they may have found a flag or two! As owner of a sizable Austrian army myself - bereft of enough bearskins - I am envious. Crowded battlefields are alright by me!

Noel said...

Thanks for the comments Doc, I did a bit of research and it appears that the combined grenadier battalions used the Liebfahne of the battalion which provided the senior companies. I can't vouch for the provenance of the information but it seems plausible.

Any chance of seeing some photos of your Austrians on your blog?

Noel.

Docsmith said...

Thanks Noel - agree, you'd think they would have some flag - it does make sense though authorities like Gunther Rothenburg say they didn't. I haven't got a lot posted but if you go to the following link and scroll down, you see a reasonable pic of an Advance Guard Division, 1809:

http://wonchangers.googlepages.com/home

I have much more, but just haven't got around to posting them as yet. The links all work and there's about three separate pages of my figures as well as this one.

Enjoy.

Docsmith said...

Further to my last answer about my Austrians - here is the blog with pics of that army for your perusal - finally got around to posting!

http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/

Enjoy.