Friday, 20 February 2009

Remember Me?

I have to admit that my input to this blog has been a little disappointing of late though I should take the time to thank Julian Whaites for his excellent series on how to paint if you are one step down from Rembrandt. I of course will continue to churn out my figures using a variety of nozzle sizes.
I've just had a quick peek at Chris Cornwells' blog in which he mentions the Wurtemburgers that he's painted for me. "like a twat I forgot to take any pictures of them" he complains. However I can remedy the situation, not Chris being a twat you understand, he is irredeemable. No, I shall furnish you dear reader with photographs of said Wurtemburgers in my next entry. That is once I've cajoled Neil Braddon, otherwise known as the King of camera shake, to bring his dead posh digital pentax along to the garage again.
But enough of my ramblings, lets face it you're only here to look at the pictures so feast your eyes on the little darlings above. These Von Vecsey Hussars are just some of the Austrians that I was lucky enough to get hold of recently and Kev, the extremely nice guy who painted them is going to do another squadron to make it thirty in all. Click on the photo to get a proper idea of the amount of detail Kev gets into his figures, personally I think they're gorgeous.
There have been several new additions to the garage roll call of late. I've already mentioned Chris's Wurtemburgers and in addition to those the ever prolific and very talented Neil Sheardown has produced yet more lovely infantry along with a regiment of Russian Cuirassier. I'll get Neil B to do some pics of those when he can get away from dogsitting. Above are some more of Kev's Austrians about to assault a village held by the Young Guard in our latest game, Francophobes will be pleased to hear that they succeeded. Though it isn't over just yet as the Froggies have reinforced with two fresh infantry divisions and the Austrians are getting a little worn out. These along with various other aquisitions have pushed the French count up to around fifty battalions though they are still sorely lacking in heavy cavalry.
Fortunately this shortfall should be remedied over the coming year or so as Neil Sheardown is now in possession of nine regiments worth of metal ( five French and four Russian ) upon which he will weave his magic.
The final shot for this entry shows a battalion of grenadiers lining the edge of a wood supported by two line battalions and is again a snapshot from our latest battle, these brave chaps have since frontally charged a six pounder battery and despite heavy losses carried the position.

10 comments:

christot said...

What figures are those little Austrian Hoosars? ...As Mr Sheardown now has some french Cavalry, have you given up on the geezer who wanted to do all the french cav?
(I'm not "irredeemable"..irreplacable,irreligious, at times irresponsible, irritating even, but not irredeemable)

Noel said...

The cavalry and infantry are all Foundry and yes I gave up on him a long time ago. I'm just a bit concerned that 9 regiments is a lot even for someone as happily obsessed with painting as Neil. So I've also sent him some Russian and Prussian infantry to break the tedium.

christot said...

you are all heart

BFG said...

How thoughtful! Don't send me any figures...I'm up to my nuts in Carthaginians!

The Austrians do look lovely mate, my only concern with Foundry was their stature as most of the stuff I have seen from them has always been a little short compared to Elite, Connoisseur or Bicorne!

So 30 is it...5 squadrons eh! Shoud be able to duff any French regiments of light....

Dom said...

Hi Noel, its about time we worked on some more terrain. Perhaps a step by step guide like Julians would be fun to do.
Maybe we can do one guide for those who want warped boards and another for those who don't ;)
In truth I'm missing the gloop...

Noel said...

Sounds like a plan, we'll probably need Neil's magic picture making box though.

That Fool Foot said...

Ah..good to see some of the latest action, really just posted this to prove I read your blog!

parisitiger said...

Hello all, as Chris & Noel have probably seen my performances on the wargame tables during their visits to the WHC, they probably appreciate my "happy obsession" with painting !! I just wish I had more time to paint.

p.s. Julians Cleve Berg battalion looks the business.

Kev Such said...

Hello Mate.

Hope you are well. The Austrians look great and im glad that they are performing well for you. Austrian Grenadiers assaulting 6lb Batteries, brilliant.
I've just about finished my 20mm WWII British Armd Bgde. Decided to do all the figures for it in AB which worked out quite a lot. But what the hell they are nearly done now. I will do those other 3 Hussars ASAP mate. Played a game Thurs night with some of me new Brits and got decimated. Top Tip #507 Dont let Infantry walk over open(ish) ground when Panthers are about and just want to upset your day. I could use the time honoured wargaming excuse that "newly painted forces NEVER fare well on their first outing"

Regards mate

Kev

Noel said...

Hello Kev, I hope you enjoyed seeing your lads trounce the Froggies. Unfortunately they were let down by the rest of the allies in the end. Sorry to hear about your Brits but that's what happens in WW2 games. You should move away from the dark side and play more Napoleonics ;)